Make your own free website on

Mighty Quinn stuns Galaxy

Berlin Thunder 28 Frankfurt Galaxy 20
Waldstadion, Frankfurt

April 30, 2001


Berlin Thunder quarterback Jonathan Quinn threw a pair of touchdowns as his team came back from an early 14-0 deficit to register their first win of the season.

The Frankfurt Galaxy, inspired by quarterback Michael Bishop, had raced into the leaad by scoring on the first two drives of the game. But Quinn, allocated by the Jacksonville Jaguars, led his team back for their first-ever win over their German rivals.

Both teams entered a noisy Waldstadion looking for their first win of the season. In front of 27,928 fans they produced an amazing first half that saw dramatic changes in momentum.

Bishop, allocated by the New England Patriots, came out firing with completions to Ricky Hall and running back Denvis Manns, putting the Galaxy in Berlin territory on their first drive. Brian Edwards' run from the 17-yard line left Frankfurt one yard from a touchdown and Cleveland Browns running back Rashon Spikes finished the job.

Andy McCullough, playing his first Galaxy game since taking World Bowl MVP honours in 1999, made his mark on the next Frankfurt series with a leaping 15-yard catch. That was all the help Bishop needed, as he reeled off three electrifying runs, including a 14-yarder that ended with a leap into the endzone for a touchdown.

Berlin quarterback Jonathan Quinn found his rhythm early in the second quarter, completing passes to Demetrius Brown and Kenny Coutain. Then the Galaxy defense that had looked so dominant in the first quarter saw Thunder running back Ricky Brown breeze past and through them on the way to a 33-yard touchdown.

The game continued to swing back towards the visiting team as the Galaxy's second quarterback Kevin Thompson was picked off by Dee Moronkola and then a pass interference call put the ball on the Galaxy 8-yard line. Quinn rolled right and fired a pass to ex-Galaxy receiver Joerg Heckenbach, who forced his way into the endzone to tie the game at 14-14.

Berlin threatened early in the third quarter as Quinn hit Demetrius Brown for a 41-yard gain, but Tony George's interception killed the drive. That set the stage for Bishop's return after he had spent the second quarter nursing bruised ribs. After seeing Manns reel off a long run, Bishop skipped away from the pass rush and flipped a pass that set up a 40-yard field goal by Ola Kimrin -- the Swedish kicker's first points in pro football.

Quinn's response to being sacked by Gary Thompkins in his own territory was a 55-yard bomb to Dwaune Jones followed by 19-yard scoring strike to Scot Osborne, the Seattle Seahawks tight end's second score of the season.

Berlin kicker Scott Bentley's 54-yard field goal attempt late in the third quarter never had a chance and Galaxy cornerback Todd McMillion picked off Quinn to give Galaxy possession at the Thunder 27 to open the fourth quarter. Kimrin reduced the Berlin lead to 21-20 by landing a 46-yard field goal.

Quinn helped Berlin escape from deep in their own territory by connecting with Jones for a 55-yard gain and by the time the two-minute warning came around he had marched the Thunder into scoring position. From the 2-yard line, Madre Hill burrowed into the endzone, leaving Frankfurt only 32 seconds to wipe out a 28-20 deficit.

It was beyond even the slippery skills of Bishop and the Galaxy fell to their second loss of the season.



Back to list of articles

Back to list of articles

Back to Bishop Home

Air Judden's Homepage